I love gardening, I don’t know why, I just do. It could be because of the amazing feeling of growing something out of practically nothing. It could be because I like knowing I can provide for my family with food straight from our own garden. It could be because a lot of different things… of which none really matters right now. At the end of the day I do it because I love it.
Whether you live up in the northern part of the world where it gets super cold for the better half of a year, or in the south where the climate is pretty moderate and you could garden outdoors any time of year… I believe YOU should also be gardening. Not just any sort of gardening though. I’m talking about indoor gardening! No really… maybe you should read through these reasons, and then decide?
THE 10 REASONS FOR INDOOR GARDENING
- You should garden indoors because it is too cold to garden outside in the winter, and most plants don’t like the snow. Of course, it’s worth mentioning that seeds like snow.
- You should garden indoors because you can grow fresh veggies and herbs right from your window ledge… and that’s pretty darn cool! Amazon has a wide variety of kits to get you started.
- Finding fresh produce this time of year is not always fresh… unless it is straight from your indoor garden.
- Indoor gardens can be suited to your specific needs. You don’t have to grow anything you don’t want to. You can also grow a ton of anything you love! Even grow for your livestock.
- It’s a great way to help purify the air in your home, especially when it’s too cold to open the windows to get fresh air.
- Your home will take on the fantastical (that’s a word right?) fragrance from the herbs or flowering plants that you are growing! Potted hyssop is perfect for this one.
- You can express your inner rebel by not following the rules of the seasons. Gardening indoors allows you to garden any time of the year, assuming you live somewhere that gets at least some sunlight… even then you could always use grow lamps, so never mind that’s not an excuse.
- It is a great introduction to growing things. Whether you are new to gardening , you don’t have a green thumb (yet), or you are teaching your kids how to grow plants, it’s a fantastic intro to the world of gardening.
- You don’t have to garden in the elements. Unless you don’t have a roof on your house, or your roof doesn’t do what it’s supposed to do by keeping the elements out. In which case I suggest you focus your time on your roof at this time.
- Your garden can be a single planter with an herb or two. Your garden doesn’t have to be an over the top fancy-schmancy space solely dedicated to just your plants… unless you have the means and desire to do so. Then please, be my guest!
WHAT YOU CAN GROW INDOORS
So now I have your attention, you may be wondering what you can grow. Edibles. There are several edible plants that can be grown indoors including sprouts, herbs, shallow-root vegetables, and if you have the space you can plant pretty much anything. Non-edibles. Why not add some house plants, or flowering plants? There is a huge benefit to having any sort of living plants indoors… it doesn’t just have to be things you eat. There truly isn’t a whole lot that you can’t grow if you have the right kind of space, sunlight, and patience… sometimes patience is the thing you need most. If you need help growing in containers, check out this Craftsy class Success With Container Gardening.